发帖 1133    精华:0   注册时间:2016-2-16    发短消息        

81楼

第三首诗:

将士阵前半生死,宛平寻药几波折。王孙花前飞雪泪,少女朦胧醒未彻。
头像
九州方圆44  中级会员   发表于:2016-10-08 23:32   只看该作者

82楼

LiuMing’s family only possesses twoapartments facing the south. In the front apartment there up set one big bedand one small bed. Her parents sleep on the big one and her brother on the smallone. LiuMing share the inner apartment only. This night BaiShiWu lived inLiuMing’s house, the little brother moved to his father’s bed, the mothercrowded with LiuMing in the inner apartment to save the small bed to LiuMing. Howcan LiuMing fallen asleep with her boy friend slept only few feet away withonly a shin plank in between? He had never spent a night in LiuMing’s house. Thistime for the war time curfew she had nothing to do but let him stay. But thismade LiuMing uneasy—his family is so rich where they have blanket, simmons bedand delicately decorated apartments. But in her own house she has only twoshabby apartments, even poorer than their servant’s. Could he fallen asleep onthe hard plank bed? Would the mosquitoes sting him?
…… Hegot exhausted in searching her the whole evening and might have been fallenasleep immediately. That would be all right if only he can fall asleep. Sheremembered the tale in which TangBoHu, an ancient man with artistic talents,went to work as a slave in order to seek for QiuXiang a beauty by that time. Thestory is quite moving and a pleasant feeling surged in his heart. BaiShiWu issomewhat like the TangBoHu in seeking after her. He frequents her house andhumble before her even subjects and plays up to an illiterate old women—hermother…… LiuMing’s eyes wet with tears unconsciously. The first timeshe felt regret for her indifference to him. Though the fellow has his defectsand bad habit as a dandy, but towards love he is sincere and enthusiastic. Itis the first time LiuMing applied the word—love. He loves her and fromchildhood developed a special kinship toward her. Only that she focus on studythat she is not willing to be blocked by love. But now she can not return tothe school, even if still wants to study hard there would be no chance. Thenshould she
……? LiuMing felt shy and did not want to gofurther thinking. Yes she allows the fellow to take her hand and touch herhairs except that she refused him to go further no matter how considerate hebehaved toward her. She is a girl with self-esteem, conceited and proud to someextend. In her mind the BaiShiWu, though handsome and considerate, he lackedsome quality, for which she is not satisfied with. But in what the boy lacks?Liu slept by the side of her mother who had already fallen asleep for the wholeday’s tiredness. She thought it over and over in the snore of her mother’s:in what the boy lacks? He studies law and legislation and canbe counted as hard learning. He loves classic Chinese poems and tried to moveher with sentimental lines. The boy looked handsome and behaves consideratelytowards her or we can say considerate to every detail. He still has theopportunity to study abroad in the future and to be a lawyer to climb up theladder of domestic career success…… He could be a man difficult to seek afterin the country. But LiuMing ask herself: what he lacks in? What’s that?
…… Themoment a shadow jumped out before her. In the pitch-black apartment except dimlight by the window check nothing can be recognized. But LiuMing could perceivea tall figure stood in a mild smile before her. The figure happens to be CaoHongYuan—the fellow she got to knowrecently. Yes! Little Bai lacks the dynamo inside Cao with which he saved outthe father and son of Wang along with MiaoHong and herself. Later he rescuedout WangYongTai from the hands of enemy. That day he still has bloodstain onhis overcoat and it is her uncle who changed the clothes for him. In order topurchase the medicine for anti-Japanese soldiers, he stood out to seek helpfrom professor Miao. He is busy with the deal but always happy with the work.But this BaiShiWu, except for seeking self happiness and be tired for his ownfortune, she had never saw him committed to anything of any value especially atthe time of national crisis. Yes, he lack of the bravery and unselfishness ofCaoHongYuan…… LiuMing took a sigh atthis. Nothing could be complete in theworld. How good it would be if little Bai could have Cao’s quality! …… Shecould no longer carry on the reasoning. This time the window paper rustled andLiuMing is on alert: “How come the noise?” she sat up slightly looking into thedirection of the window.           

“LittleLiu, have you fallen asleep? I can’t sleep. Would you please come out and sitfor a talk in the yard?”

LiuMing was burning with anger. How can onetalk at the mid-night in the yard? We have neighbors around! LiuMing tookslight steps to the window. She had thought to scold the BaiShiWu then stoppedand returned to her bed.

“I can’t talk to him. If anyone heard itcould be a shame to me.” LiuMing fell on her pillow and covered her head in thequilt, but her heart beat like a rabbit.

The window still rustled. LiuMing glancefrom under the quilt and saw a hole was poked through on the window paper. Thefire of anger was burning even fiercer. What does it mean? Steal a look inside?She had read the Romans of West Chamber. Isthe BaiShiWu the same kind to ZhangSheng in the drama? She felt as if beingshamed then pushed hard on her mother and raised her voice to say:

“Mom, Listen. Is there a thief outside?”

“What! What! How come the thief?……” Mother turned andsat up to turn on the light. She looked around with her sleepy eyes.

The rustle on the window stopped. Motherstunned for a while then turned off the light again and patted on LiuMing as ifto pat on an infant in the cradle: “Daughter, don’t be suspicious! We have twomen in the front apartment. Don’t worry. Go on sleeping and not to disturbchilde Bai. ”

Analysis: LiuMing don’t not know too many young men so she can not make too many compare. With only a few interact with CaoHongYuan, she couldn’t help made it. She knew the BaiShiWu really cares her. His love is sincere and classic but also incomplete. Just as the result of compare that his love is a selfish one and to his own benefit. The Bai has no sense of the nation or the society if he had ever done anything it is forced by LiuMing and he managed with it.  

头像
九州方圆44  中级会员   发表于:2016-10-08 23:35   只看该作者

83楼

柳明不出声了,眼泪却滴在枕头上。她的心受着煎熬。扪心自问,白士吾在她心里是占着一个位置的。过去,她只是希望埋头读书,学出本领,不愿意和他多接近。但自从“七·七”抗战爆发后,学校停了课,她只得放下学业,投身到救护伤员的工作上。这样,倒有利于白士吾日夜追随、包围她。接近多了,她那感情的闸门便开始关闭不住了……“对这个人怎么办,怎么呢?”柳明默默地问着自己。接近多了,她那感情的闸门便开始关闭不住了……“对这个人怎么办,怎么办呢?”柳明默默地问自己。同时,她却侧着耳朵听起外间屋里的动静。他睡着了么?他一定睡不着。刚才喊醒妈妈说有贼,他听了会不会生气呢他并不是贼,如果他想偷香窃玉,又何必把心上人叫出屋去呢?在院子里除了说说,又能怎样呢?……想到这儿,柳明被一种负疚的心情攫住了。当她听到外间屋里白士吾不住地长吁短叹时,她更加不安了。她知道他也在守着煎熬。他从来没有在这种地方睡过觉,他和她更从来没有挨得这么近地睡在一个屋檐下。今夜他们两个谁也不会睡着觉的。他多次向她求婚,也许有一天,他们两个真的睡在一间屋里?……柳明的脸忽然变得热辣辣的,心激烈地怦跳着。呵,少女的初恋,少女的梦想,少女美妙而又单纯的憧憬。……天快亮了,窗纸变成鱼肚白了,柳明正想拂去似梦似真的幻觉。慕然她看见窗户上有一个碗口似的大洞,洞里冒出熊熊燃烧的火焰。那红色的火焰扑向她,她惊悸地喊了一声,急忙逃走。一霎间,火焰不见了,那个窗上的碗口又哗哗地往屋里喷水喷得她满身满脸,晕头转向。一下子她仿佛被大水包围,她一口口地喝着水,快被淹死了。这时,一个人一下子从水中抱起了她,抱她跳出水面她的呼吸匀和了,人也清醒了。睁眼一看,原来救她的人不是白士吾,却是曹鸿远。他的身上衣服上、脸上、胳臂上到处沾满了殷红的斑斑血迹。……柳明忽然醒来,已经红日满窗。身边的母亲不见了,站在她床头的却是白士吾。他的脸洗得白白净净,头发梳得光溜溜,他对她微笑,那双脉脉含情的眼睛眯缝着……

“小白!”她向他伸出手去,“你睡好了么?我们这个又破又烂的地方你一定睡不惯快回家睡觉去吧!”

“不,小柳,我睡着了。我做梦,梦见有人喊有贼你看见这个贼了么?”

“柳明噗嗤一笑,用手一指窗户上的小洞:            

“你看,这就是那个贼戳得我看见了。”

“愿在花下死,做鬼也风流。”白士吾嘿嘿笑着,拉着柳明的手,“小柳,咱们到外面吃早点去西餐的早点最好吃。”

轰!轰!轰隆轰隆!突然几声巨响掠过上空,震得柳明家的窗户纸簌簌作响。白士吾和柳明全吓愣了。躺在床上的柳明脸孔煞白;白士吾的脸更象张白纸。他突然抱着自己的脑袋惊惶地四处张望

“小、小柳,又打炮了!咱们钻个洞钻到这床底下吧!”

柳明镇定了一下,咬着嘴唇摇着头。

“夜里钻小洞,白天钻大洞你钻吧!我听惯了枪炮响,没有那么多洞给我钻。”

白士吾放下双手,歪着脑袋谛听唿哨着掠过空中的枪炮声,哆哆嗦嗦地说:“这可怎么得了!日本人的大炮都能打到北平城里来了。小柳,My Dear, 咱们快找个安全的地方走吧!”

柳明翻身站起来,把乌黑的短发一甩:

“全中国要都响起了日本人的枪炮声,看你往哪儿逃?……以后,不许你Dear, Dear的,谁还不知道你念过几天洋文。”

“车到山前自有路呵!”白士吾一边回答,一边东瞧西看,似乎还在找什么保险的地方。

“我家连个老鼠洞都没有,别找了。你不是有大保险柜么,快回家钻到保险柜里去!”柳明对别人除了妈妈,说话都是温和文静的,唯独对待白士吾,说话就带刺儿。白士吾以为就是女人的“娇嗔”不以为意,反而顺耳。炮声沉寂寞了,半晌不响了,白士吾的脸色转了过来,把眼镜片擦了擦,望着柳明,柔声说道:

“尊贵的小姐,该梳妆打扮啦,也该去填饱肚子啦!叫鄙人奉陪好么?”

柳明打来一盆洗脸水,擦了两把脸,漱漱口,转身就向门外走。母亲愣愣地望着她;白士吾用手拉着她:

“我送给你的那些巴黎化妆品,你怎么一样也不用?年轻漂亮的姑娘,还不该打扮打扮一打扮起来你准是天资国色的绝代佳人保准六宫粉黛无颜色……”

“去你的,又动手动脚了。我要到医院去那儿还有许多伤员等着我哩。在一群流着鲜血的战士面前,我能浑身散发着巴黎香水的味道?小白,亏你想得出……”柳明忽闪着水汪汪的大眼睛,望着白士吾浅浅一笑,“对了,小白,你可不许忘了,我托你买的药一定快买来!要几天?可不许拖延!”

“三天之后吧!”白士吾一提买药的事,脸上立刻显出不快神色,“我送你走,咱们先吃早点去。我肚子早饿得咕咕叫了。”

“哎呀,白少爷,咱们家没有好吃的。那就叫丫头陪你外边吃吧,要不给你们在家里弄点吃的,凑和着点心?”母亲歉疚地说。

“柳青泉一拉老婆子,厚厚的镜片后面,露出愠怒的的神色:

“咱们是窝头脑袋!吃天鹅蛋的主儿,会啃窝头?”

柳明的脸微微一红,白士吾也有点儿不好意思。柳明妈妈却拍打着手掌和老头子嚷了起来:

“你这老东西呀,就是啃窝头的命!白少爷哪点儿对不起你啦?不是她,咱们的日子更难过啦!不是有这门子好亲戚你,你,你早就披着麻袋片在街上喝西北风去啦!”

柳明对母亲把她和白士吾看成未婚的一对儿,有点不高兴,扭头对母亲瞪了一眼,登登地跑出大门去。

头像
九州方圆44  中级会员   发表于:2016-10-08 23:36   只看该作者

84楼

LiuMing held off her words, but tears dropped off her eyes to the pillow. She was tortured psychologically. If she asks herself then the BaiShiWu counted for something in her heart. In the past what she wanted to do is to focus on her study and knock something out of the learning. She did not like to approach him too much. After July the 7th when Bridge LuoGou incidence broke out, the school lesson was suspended and she had to put down her learning to involve in the first aid work. So BaiShiWu took the chance to besiege her and seek after. More frequent approach turned on the gate of bilateral affection then it could not be shut again…… “How shall I deal with her? How? ” LiuMing asked herself in silence. In the mean time she spied on the movement next door in the front apartment. Had he fallen asleep? No, he couldn’t. Just now I called up my mother and alarm for thief. Would he turn angry if heard? He is not a thief on beauty. If so would it necessary to call me out for the talk? Except for a talk what else could he do in the courtyard?
…… At this LiuMing was grabbed by an apologetic feeling. When she heard the constant sign and groan in the front house by BaiShiWu, she turned much more uneasy. She knew he also torture inside psychologically. He had never slept in such place and he had never shared with her the same roof to sleep so closely with her in the night. Yes he had made proposals to her many times. Maybe one day they would share the same roof…… LiuMing felt her cheek burning with hot and her heart beat faster. Oh, the maiden’s first love, her dream and the first outlook on life in the future—pure and beautiful…… The day was breaking at the moment and the window paper was turning white like the belly of fish. LiuMing wanted to sweep her illusion clean when she perceived a hole in the paper as big as a bowl. Tones of fire penetrated in through the hole. The moment she made a shriek and wanted to take an escape the fire tones disappeared instead water sprung into the house through the hole. She was wet all over almost lost her sense. She was besieged by the water, choked with it and almost drowned. This instance a figure saved her out and held her in his arms to jump out of the flood. Her breath smooth again and the mind recovered. Liu opened her eyes to see the figure turned out to be CaoHongYuan instead of BaiShiWu. The man had blood stain on his arms, face and clothes.
……LiuMing woke up suddenly to see the red sun already climbed up to the window. The mother by her side disappeared and BaiShiWu stand there instead. He washed the white face clean and combed the hair smooth and looked at her affectionately with his narrow eyes……

Little Bai!” she reached out her hand, “Did you have a good sleep? You must be unaccustomed to our shabby and broken house. Hurry back and have a good sleep then.”

“Yes, little Liu I did have a good night sleep. And I had a dream in which someone called for catching a thief. Did you see the thief?”

LiuMing burst out laughing then pointed to the small hole on the window check:  

“Look! It is poked by the thief and I saw it.”

“Willing to die before a beauty and keep romantic in hell!” BaiShiWu took Liu’s hand in the laughing, “Little Liu, let’s go out for the breakfast then.”   

Bang! BangBang! Several gun shot thundered through the sky and the window paper of Liu’s shaking with the sound. LiuMing and BaiShiWu were stunned at the moment. LiuMing lay on her bed with her face turning white and the face of BaiShiWu turned paler. He held his head with the hands and looked around in terror.

“Little Liu, little Liu, the gun fired again! Let’s dug a cave and hide under the bed!”

LiuMing calmed herself down for a while, bit her lips and shook her head to say:

“You dug a small hole at night and would like to dig a big one in the day. As you like then! I have been accustomed to the sound of gunshot and I’m not afraid of them nor would I dig so many holes to hide.”

BaiShiWu put down his hands and slanted his head to one side listening to the gun fires shrieking through the sky then said in trembling voice: “What shall we do then? The canons of the Jap can blast inside city BeiPing! Little Liu, my dear, let’s move to a safer place.”

LiuMing turned over and stood up to threw back her black hair:

“The whole nation will thunder with the Jap’s canon! Where you can escape to?
…… Never call me dear again! Who don’t know the petty time you’ve spent on English?”     

“Don’t worry for the way out of it!” BaiShiWu looked around in answering it as if still searching for a safer place.

“I don’t have even a mouse cave in my house. Don’t search it! Don’t you have a big safer in your house?! Hurry back and hide in.” Except towards her mother LiuMing speaks mildly and gently to almost everyone. But to this BaiShiWu she always uses irony. BaiShiWu always took it as the flirting manner of the women. He does not mind it and accustomed to it. The gunfire silenced for a long while and the BaiShiWu turned to face LiuMing while cleaning his spectacles. He said in his smooth voice:

“My honored, it’s time to dress up and have something to eat. Let me accompany you, all right?”

LiuMing filled a basin of water, washed her face and rinsed her mouth, then walking towards the door. Mother looked at her dumfounded while BaiShiWu held her hand to say:

“Why didn’t you use the pair’s cosmetics I brought you? Not even tried one piece. You are young and beautiful and should make up yourself. You would be raving beauty when made up as the poem line goes: ‘Win over all the imperial beauties……’”

“Don’t intend to tease me for a touch! I have to go to my hospital and many injured are waiting for me there! Can I spread the fragrance of pairs perfume in front of the injured? Little Bai, how can you think about it?……”LiuMing blinking with her tearful eyes slightly smiled to say: “Yes, little Bai. Don’t forget it! The medicine I entrust you to purchase. You have to purchase them. How many days it will cost you? Never delay! ”

“Three days later!” as soon as Liu mention the medicine purchase, BaiShiWu appears not happy. “Let’s go for breakfast. I got a butterfly in my stomach!”

“My! Childe Bai, we have no delicious food at home. Then let my girl dining out with you? Or I cook something at home for you along with some pastries?” mother said regretfully.

“LiuQingQuan pulled his wife back, his eyes was glaring with anger behind his thick glasses.”

“We are doomed to eat steamed bread. But he has the fate to feed on the swan eggs. Could he eat our steamed bread?”

LiuMing flushed a little, BaiShiWu felt shy also. But LiuMing’s mother patted with her palm and quarrel with her husband:

“You old stubborn head, it is you who are doomed to feed on the steamed bread. Where did childe Bai offend you? Our life would be more difficult without him. Without this good relation you would have nothing to eat and wandering in the street!”

LiuMing is not delighted with mother’s view that she took them as unmarried couple. She stared at her mother and running quickly towards the street.

头像
九州方圆44  中级会员   发表于:2016-10-08 23:36   只看该作者

85楼

Analysis: Why LiuMing saw the fire and water in her early morning illusion? Author may use it as a hint. The fire and water may indicate the calamity she would encounter in the national anti-invasion war and crisis. The fire and water is not only for her to suffer, it is the calamity of the whole Chinese nation. And it is CaoHongYuan later saved her out of the danger at the cost of his own injury. This BaiShiWu though looks in deeply love with her but he withdrew every time at the strategic point and even turned reluctant in medicine purchase. The author may also indicate the one who are willing to save the country counts the real one to save the people and win the favor of the people.

头像
九州方圆44  中级会员   发表于:2016-10-09 23:18   只看该作者

86楼

第十二章

柳明托白士吾买药,三天过去了,没见小白的面,药也不见买来,心里有些着急,便在中午休息时间到东城白士吾的家中去找他。

白士吾的家是一座油漆一新、有几个跨院的大宅院。大红的漆门外,有两个大石狮子虎视眈眈地蹲在大门的两边。走进两重院落,经过月亮门才进到花砖满地的正院,这儿还搭着高高的凉席棚。院子里有两个一模一样的大花瓷盆,里面套着泥做的大金鱼缸,整齐地排列在正屋两傍边的窗下。开着红花的石榴树和粉红花的夹竹桃,顺着甬路两旁,一排排从月亮门一直伸展到北屋的石阶下。柳明望望白士吾父母所住的一大溜房间,寂然无声大概午觉了,就从屋傍边的一条小过道走进后院去找白士吾。

白士吾住在后院一溜三间北屋里。两明一暗,油漆得又红又亮,大玻璃窗上挂着白绸子窗帘。柳明走进开着的屋门外屋只有几个大玻璃书橱和一套皮沙发,并没有人。只有里屋的留声机传出轻轻的唱声。她想,白士吾可能在里屋睡觉了;因为他有个习惯,必须放着留声机或收音机听着京戏才能入睡。柳明站在关着的里屋门外,轻轻喊了一声:

“白士吾,在家没有?”

躺在席梦思床上正在翻着照片的白士吾,懒洋洋地捏着照片,没好气地吼道:

“李妈,我正在睡觉。你这时候干么来了?”

柳明一听喊“李妈”,知道白士吾不是冲她来的火。可她心里也没好气,一下子把屋门拉开,闯到白士吾床边睨着他:

“谁是你的李妈?!就是对下人也不该这么大声喊叫呀!真是个大少爷!……”说着,把留声机的机头挪到一边,一个女人正娇媚地说着“这厢有礼”的声音嘎然而止。

白士吾一见是柳明,顿时慌了神,急忙把手里捏着的一张大照片往枕头底下一塞,跳下床来,慌慌张张地说:

“呵,小柳是你呀!我当是李妈给我送水来了呢。”说着,又把床上的照片往枕头下边塞。

柳明眼尖,早看见白士吾先往枕头下塞的照片是一个年轻女人的放大头像,而后塞在枕下的照片里还有一张是她的。她盯着白士吾的脸,冷冷地说:

“白士吾,怎么我的照片忽然飞到贵府里来了?我并没有送过你照片呀!”

“那,那是……”白士吾嗫嚅,白脸上有点发红了。

“那是什么?我的照片怎么会飞到你这儿来了?还和别人的照片掺在一起……你得说实话!”

“小柳,你请坐。”白士吾冷静下来,一边让柳明坐在一把藤椅上,自己坐在她旁边的软椅,笑嘻嘻地说,“这是你妈妈送给我的。我找你要照片,你总不给我,我只得向你妈妈求援了。她给了我一张,我把它放大了……小柳,你不知道吧?我很喜欢照相,也会冲洗。所以,我能把你的照片翻成底片,又把它放大你看……”他刚刚把枕下那张柳明的照片拿给她看,好显示他高超的照相技术。忽然,又觉得不妥枕下还有几张别的女人的照片呢,叫她看了,岂糟糕!于是缩回了手,改变了话题:“小柳,你轻易不登寒舍,怎么今天太阳打西边出来,居然大驾光临了?真是蓬荜生辉呀!”

“你这阔气的公馆,清朝王爷孙少爷的寝室,还自称‘寒舍’,真有点谦虚得过分了吧?我那个破家,叫做寒舍倒还合适一些……小白,我还有事,不跟你闲扯。你要我的照片干嘛?那不是我给你的,你应当还给我!”柳明说着,抬头望望米黄色的墙上悬挂着几张电影明星的照片有中国的,也有外国的。她感到有些不快,但不便说,只拿眼瞅着白士吾,看他说什么。

“还给你?”白士吾微微一笑,“还给你这一张,我再放大它十张,反正底片在我这儿。小柳,怨不得有人说你牛顿脾气叫大猫走大洞,小猫走小洞,就是不叫两只猫走一个洞。”白士吾说着,哈哈大笑起来。

柳明想了想也对,妈妈巴结白士吾,看上他家有钱,总想叫自己跟他好。送给他照片也没什么。只是怎么还有那些年轻女人的照片?……柳明压住心头的疑惑,强打精神问:

“小白,托你买药的事怎样了?卢沟桥战事这么紧,个个医院都缺药,你快些给我买吧!”

“怎么又是医院缺药了?不是你那位朋友托你买药么?倒是谁买药?你必须说清楚了,我才不给你买。”

听白士吾这些挑刺儿的话,柳明真想斥责他两句。但她忽然想起曹鸿远虽然年纪也不大,可那种稳重、沉着、不慌不忙的劲头,跟自己一比……自己这么容易激动尤其是对这个“影子”。她双眼望着窗外一棵长满了翠绿叶子的海棠树,沉了一会儿,说:

“小白,上次是你亲口答应我很快能买到药的,还说三天就可以买到。今天已经三天了,怎么说话不算数呢?‘国家兴亡,匹夫有责’。你还是快点给我买来吧!今天,我是特为这个来找你的。医院里一大堆事情我都放下了。”

“不为买药你就不肯来看看我是不是?”白士吾盯着柳明的脸,露出愁闷的神色。因为有许多亲戚、朋友正在给他介绍女朋友,并且拿来了她们的照片。他把这些照片一一放大,今天中午正躺在床上仔细看着,也把柳明的放大照片拿来放在一起,一个个地端详比较着。看来看去,比较来比较去,他觉得还是柳明最漂亮:她那两只大眼睛虽然是在照片上,也好象乌亮乌亮的,放着妩媚的光彩。于是,他决定先不要别的女人,还是先追柳明。他的朋友对他说过,多么强硬的女人,你只要耐心地用柔情、用眼泪,或者用金钱追上两年,准保追到手。可是追这个现在一心扑在抗日工作上的女人呢,却又不是那么简单易行的。她似乎爱他,又似乎不爱若即若离。“落花有意,流水无情”,可怎么办好呢?……白士吾坐在椅子上正痴痴地胡乱想的时候,柳明又一本正经地发了话:

[ 本帖最后由 九州方圆44 于 2016-10-9 23:22 编辑 ]
头像
九州方圆44  中级会员   发表于:2016-10-10 22:30   只看该作者

87楼

Three days had already past after LiuMing entrusted BaiShiWu for the medicine purchase, but she has not yet found the BaiShiWu and the medicine. She worried over it sotook the chance of mid-day break to go to his house in the east of the city andseek him.

BaiShiWu lives in a complex house consist of several freshly brushed courtyards. By the side of red painted gate stand a pair of giant big-eyed stone lions. Walking through two yards and the moon gatewent across then you reached the core compound with mosaic ground where hightent covered with mat had been set up. There are two giant porcelain basinsenameled with flowers in the compound which copies each other. A goldfish bowlmade of mud inlayed in each of the basin. They stand in parallel under thewindow of the centre house. The pomegranates bloom with flowers and theoleander with pink flowers lined along the corridor. They stretch until thestone steps under the house facing the north. LiuMing scanned the big apartmentsof his parents: it is in silence and maybe they had already fallen asleep so hetook a side walk to the backyard to find BaiShiWu. He lives in a line of threeapartments in the backyard house facing the north, two sunny and one shaded.All shining red painted with white silk curtain hang on the big glass windows.LiuMing walked into the open door. There are only several big bookcases withglass windows and a set of leather sofa but no one available. The phonographwas still playing with light music. She thought BaiShiWu must be sleeping inthe inner house for he has a habit to listen to the music of Pekingopera through radio or phonograph when lie on the bed. LiuMing stand at thedoor to the inner apartment and called:

“BaiShiWuare you available?”

This momentBaiShiWu lie on the simmons bed lazily pinched photos in the examine. Heshouted in bad temper:

“Aunt Li,I am sleeping now. Why you are here by now?”

LiuMingheard the words “Aunt Li” and she knew his anger does not point to her. But shealso felt angry so she pulled the door open and dashed to his bed side:

“Who isyour aunt Li? You can’t shout like this even if towards the servants! Youreally behave like a young master!” in the mean time she suspended the pin on the phonograph when there played a woman’s voice “I’m here to serve you.” Then the play stopped there suddenly.

BaiShiWuwas instantly at a loss what to do when he realized it is LiuMing. He insertedthe big photo pinched in his hand under the pillow instantly. Then he jumpeddown his bed hurriedly.

“My! It’syou, little Liu! I thought aunt Li came to fetch water for me. ”the hecontinued to hide the photos under the pillow.

LiuMingeyes are sharp so she saw the first one is a magnified portrait of head for awoman and the second one is hers. She stared at his face and said coldly:

“How canmy photos fly into your household? But I haven’t given you any of my photos!”

“That is.That is
……”BaiShiWu stammered and his face turnedsomewhat red in color.

“How itcomes? How could my photo fall into your possession and mix with other women’s?…… Tell me the truth, please!”

“LittleLiu, sit down please!” BaiShiWu calmed himself down then introduced LiuMing toa cane chair and sat himself on a soft chair by the side. He grinned and said:“This is send by your mother. I had asked from you but you turn down so what Ican do is to seek help from your mother. She gave me one and I had it magnified…… Don’t you know it? I like photography and know how towash it out. So I can change your positive film to negative and have itmagnified…… Just look!” he was about to take outthe photo under the pillow to make a show of his expert skill in photographythen felt it improper for there are also other women’s photos under the pillow.It would be bad if LiuMing should see them. So he withdrew his hand and changedthe topic, “Little Liu, you never came to my shabby house easily. What bringsyou here today to make my house glory in your presence?!”

“Shabby?How can it be shabby? You are too modest and your house could compare with thesleeping room for the princes of Qing Dynasty. It is much proper to call myhouse shabby…… Little Bai I am here to accomplishsomething. Don’t talk non-sense! What your use of my photos and please give itback to me.” This moment of talking LiuMing raised her head to see there are afew photos of film stars both abroad and home hanging on the cream-coloredwall. She felt unhappy but inconvenient to express. She looked at BaiShiWu andwait to hear what he would explain:

“Give itback to you?” BaiShiWu said in smile, “I give this copy to you and I canreproduce another ten magnified one. Anyhow the negative is in my hand. LittleLiu, no wonder someone call you bull’s direct: you let the big cat went throughthe big hole and the small one small. Why not let the two cats use the big holetogether?” BaiShiWu laughed loudly in the saying.

ThenLiuMing know it has some reason. Mother played up to BaiShiWu, she like therich family and would like her daughter to develop the relation. It is notunimaginable to get her photos from mother. But how can there other women’sphotos too?…… LiuMing held off the suspicion andcheered up to say:

“LittleBai, how about the medicine purchase? The Bridge LuGou incidence is on theintense and every hospital is in lack of medicine. Hurry up with it!”

“Why should be the hospital? Did you say one of your friends entrust you forthe procurement? Tell me who is behind the deal or I won’t help you.”

LiuMingwanted to scold him for his ironic words. But she suddenly recalled theCaoHongYuan, he is not elderly too but his calm and stable weigh far beyondherself…… She thinks herself too emotionalespecially towards this “shadow”. She focused her eyes on the green leaves ofcherry apple tree in front of the window, silenced for a while and said:

“LittleBai, last time you promised me that you would make the purchase soon. You saidyou need only three days and now the time has come. Are you credible? ‘Everyone is responsible to the fate of the country’ as it says. Please push forwardyour purchase. I am here special for this target so I can put off the lot ofthing I have to do in the hospital.

“Then youwon’t come here to meet me if not for the medical service?” BaiShiWu stared atLiuMing’s face depressed. Many relatives and friends send photos for him tochoose a girlfriend. He magnified every one of them and compare with LiuMing’sone by one when he can lay on the bed at mid-day rest. He still found LiuMingthe most beautiful. Her big black eyes glazed with light even on the photo.Then he determined to seek after LiuMing firstly. His friend had said to him how hardhearted the woman is you can crush her by considerate, tears and money. But toseek after the women who concentrated her work is not a simple mission. Herlove is so ambiguous. What if it is one sided?…… Themoment BaiShiWu sat on the chair all in a mess LiuMing opened her mouth:

Analysis: Yes why not let the big cat and thesmall one pass through the same big hole? Then Why not make a multiple choice?The problem lay in that BaiShiWu had been seeking LiuMing long before hereceived all these photos. And these photos are neither film-star nor classmateor colleagues they are for him to choose a girl-friend. He should have refusedthem decisively in the first notion. So again it is neither a love nor adependable attachment. I had called it attachment then I discovered it is worsethan attachment. He himself is so ambiguous.

[ 本帖最后由 九州方圆44 于 2016-10-10 22:31 编辑 ]
头像
九州方圆44  中级会员   发表于:2016-10-10 22:32   只看该作者

88楼

“你好好的又没有生病,又没有受伤我哪有时间来看你……时局这样紧张,白士吾,你还是多参加点抗日活动,少在家里相看女人的照片……”话没说完,柳明一阵羞涩,脸绯红了。

白士吾两眼紧盯着柳明的脸,见她忽然两颊绯红,不由得神魂飘荡。他把椅子向柳明身旁挪了挪,也红着脸讪讪地说:

“小柳,我是在看女人的照片。这都是一些亲戚、朋友们帮我提亲送来的。不瞒你说,我拿这些照片和你的照片来比较,觉得她们哪一个也比不上你……”

“别乱扯行不行?”柳明红着脸打断了白士吾的话,“小白,我和你同过学,姑姑又是咱们的校长,她为人正派,对学生好,对我也不错,所以我才和你来往。可是,你干嘛老是胡思乱想?我和苗虹,还有千百个同学、千万个不愿当奴隶的中国人包括苗虹的爸爸苗教授夫妇,想起国亡无日,中国的前途不知将会变成什么样儿,大家心里都非常难受。唯独你,一点儿不关心国家大事,就知道关心你那些密斯……快说,你给我们买的药,倒是给买药不给买?要是不行,你痛痛快快地说明白,我立刻就走!”说着,柳明当真站了起来。

“看你,又是我‘们’上来了!冲这‘们’字,我就不管买;没有‘们’,只有你,我就管。”

柳明一听白士吾这些话,又想发火。可当曹鸿远那沉静的目光在她心上一闪时,她克制了自己,放低了声音:

“小白,不要总在字眼上挑刺儿了。买这些药难道给我一个人用的么?当然是给许多人买、许多人用的,那当然就得用‘们’字了。……你快说,到底买好了没有?医院里还有许多事你不知道吧?从前天起,我已经转到北大三院那边去了。那儿安置了许多伤兵,新成立了一个伤兵收容站。我在那儿日夜都不回家。”

“哦,你又挪到北大三院的伤兵收容站去啦?怨不得我找不着你了呢。连你爸爸、妈妈、弟弟都不知道你的去向。好吧,明天上午我到北大三院去找你,给你送去发货票药是买了,就是人家不肯开发货票,怕有人知道一下子卖了这么多药不好交待。怎么样?我的女神,明天我去找你行不行?”白士吾说着,温存地握住柳明的手眉目含情地望着柳明的脸。柳明不好意思地低下头来,沉默一会儿,轻声说:

“行!”她看了白士吾,站起身就往外走。一边走,一边对紧挨在身边的男友说:“你去了,别光跟在我后面瞎转游,这不但耽误我的工作,别人看了也不好。你去了就当是救护伤员的学生,也干点实事儿。要是明天你骗我,不把药品的提货单交给我,那咱们以后就一刀两断。”

白士吾仍然扭头盯着柳明的脸,走着,望着她那双魅人的大眼睛。一直等到把她送到自家的红漆大门外,这才有点儿伤感地低声说:

“小柳,你放心!我也是有爱国之心的。只是近来近来为了你……我这才心神不安……怎么样?咱俩现在到北海去玩玩,散散心好么?小柳,我心里很苦恼,有好些话想跟你说……”

柳明摇摇头:

“我实在没有工夫。有什么话以后再说好不好?可你明天上午一定得把提货单给我送去,不然……”柳明没有把话说完,拔脚就向胡同口走去。

白士吾站在自家大门外的石狮子前,望着柳明的背影,直到她出了胡同口望不见背影了,才怏怏地叹了口气,没精打采地迈进大门。

头像
九州方圆44  中级会员   发表于:2016-10-10 22:33   只看该作者

89楼

“You are healthy and not injured how can I go to see you frequently?
…… The current events are hot on the line. BaiShiWu, you’d better join the anti-Japanese activity. Save your time at home watching the photos of women.” LiuMing felt shy and flushed before she can finish her words.

BaiShiWu focused on the face of LiuMing he found her face flushed for the moment and he felt dizzy. He moved his chair nearer to LiuMing and said shyly with his face ruddy:

“Little Liu, I do watch the women’s photos. But they are all sent by my relatives and friends for proposal. To tell you the truth, no one of them could compare to you……”

“Never talk your non-sense!” LiuMing interrupted BaiShiWu’s words, “Little Bai, we had been classmates and your aunt had been our principal who is an upright woman. She treats her students well and treats me well. For all these reason I agreed to make friends with you. But why did you always mislead your thinking? MiaoHong and I along with thousands of Chinese students and thousands of Chinese men who are not willing to be slaves without a nation are being tortured now, among us there are also professor Miao and his wife. We are tortured for the collapse of our nation and the undetermined future. But only you cared nothing of the state events and concentrate on your maidens
……  Say, wouldn’t you purchase the medicine we demanded? If you won’t just make it clear and I will leave her immediately.” LiuMing really stand up by now.

“Again you mentioned ‘we’ for which I won help you. If you say ‘I’ then I will care about.”

LiuMing was about to be anger another time when the calm look on the face of CaoHongYuan flashed out for a second. She conquered the anger and said in low voice:

“Little Bai, don’t be so critical on certain words. Could all those medicine for my own use? No, so I applied the word ‘I’
…… Tell me as soon as possible haven’t you purchased it? Don’t you understand I had many things else to deal with in the hospital? The day before yesterday I was assigned to work in the No. 3 hospital affiliated to BeiJing University. They place many injured soldiers there and they also established a penitentiary. I have to work there day and night.”

“Oh, you moved to work in the penitentiary of No. 3 hospital affiliated to BeiJingUniversity? No wonder I can not find you. Even your parents and little brother did not know where you were. Ok, tomorrow morning I will be there to send the bill of lading. I had purchased the medicine but they are not willing to check the bill of lading for they can’t explain why they sold so many things at one go. My goddess, how about it? I go there tomorrow to meet you!” BaiShiWu tenderly held the hands of LiuMing and looked at her affectionately. LiuMing bent down her head to think for a while in silence then said:

“Ok!” She threw a glance at Bai then stood up and walking outside in the mean time said to her boyfriend by side: “If you would be there. Please do not follow me everywhere without an aim. That would interfere with my job and looked awkward. You can take the role of student who went there to help the injured and do something solid. If you cheat me and failed to present with the bill of lading then I would bid you farewell.”

BaiShiWu still moved his head to follow his look at the face of LiuMing. He stared at her charming eyes in the walking until the red painted gate of his house reached. Then he said sadly in low voice:

“Little Liu, don’t worry! I’m also patriotic. The recent uneasy is all for you. How about to have a walk in BeiHai Park to be released from it? I’m really distressed psychologically and have many things to talk to you.”

LiuMing shook her head.

“I really have no time. If you have anything to say please save it for later chances. You shall bring me the bill of lading tomorrow, otherwise……”She hurried to the entrance of the lane before she finished her words.

BaiShiWu stood by the stone lion at the gate for a long while watching the shadow of LiuMing until it disappeared out of the lane. Then he walked inside the door at a loss and sighed in depression.

头像
九州方圆44  中级会员   发表于:2016-10-10 22:34   只看该作者

90楼

第十三章

曹鸿远拿着一份报纸,坐在王福来父子临时借住的小屋炕沿上,仔细地读着。这是宋哲元向蒋介石及全国的通电。“时局已届最后关头”的大字标题,使他竦目惊心。他暗自猜测,尽管宋哲元表示要“自卫守土”,北平的失守,恐怕还是避免不了,这“最后关头”就要到了吧?……

两天前,曹鸿远又来到长辛店一带。他已经和王福来父子成了要好的朋友。王家父子家破人亡没处居住,临时住到王永泰同厂的师傅魏斌家。鸿远到长辛店后也住到魏斌家。这时,王家父子和魏师傅都先后出去了,只剩下鸿远一个人,坐在炕沿对着油灯默默沉思。

他心里很烦闷,走出屋门,到四野全是菜园子的井台边站住了。凉风习习,送来淡淡菜香,但仍然吹不散他心头的烦恼。附近的南苑和芦沟桥一带,炮声不绝于耳。他手里仍然拿着那张一天前的报纸,听着炮声,想着心事:“抗战”—中国新时代的伟大使命似乎来到了,党的一切工作都似乎向这个方向转移。“抗战”—中国新时代的伟大使命似乎来到了,党的一切工作都似乎向这个方向转移。“抗日民族统一战线”,这个口号的强调提出,显示了党领导艺术的高超—他忽然想起苗教授,一个魁伟爽朗的高级知识分子的形象矗立在面前。这位教授很快帮助买到一批药品,不正体现着党的政策的感召力么?

战争风云,形势咄咄逼人地变化着:“七·七”事变以来,国民党一味退让求和。就在蒋介石命令宋哲元和日本谈判退兵的日子里,日本利用时间调兵遣将,顺利地完成了向中国腹地大举进攻的准备工作。

七月二十六日,日寇悍然占领了平津路上的廊坊,并向宋哲元提出最后通牒—限令退军。二十八日,日寇在完成了占领北平的准备工作之后,开始大规模攻击北平的南苑、北苑和西苑。眼看北平广大群众就要陷于敌寇统治下的水生火热中,曹鸿远独自站在井台边,举目四顾,暗夜的苍宇,大团乌云正在灰暗的天际滚滚翻动,雷声和炮声混在一起,不停地轰隆隆响过。榴弹不时一闪一闪的呼啸着,发出炫目的光亮。他用力吸了几口凉气,睁大眼睛,扭过头向西北方向的天空凝望—眼前恍惚出现了延安宝塔山的雄姿,耳边也听见了延河水的淙淙声响,那些熟悉的首长,熟悉的同志,个个音容笑貌如在面前……

一道划破长空的闪电,募地照亮了广袤的大地。

“小曹,炮弹一个劲儿炸,你还是进屋去吧—你看,外边哪里有人敢露头啊!”王福来悄悄走到鸿远身边,关心地劝他。

“大叔,这是吓唬人的空炮、榴弹。我打过仗,知道什么样的炮声有危险,什么样的炮声没关系。您放心。只是魏师傅和永泰到现在还没回来,您看,他们是没进得城去,还是进了城出不来了?”

近日由于战事紧张,北平四门每天只开放一两个小时,让四郊农民送菜进城。市民出入城门早就被限制了。

王福来蹲在井台上,望着北平的方向,低声说:

“说的是哩!他们到这早晚还不回来,我也有点不放心。看这样儿,小曹,这北平城是完啦……往后,这日子可怎么过呵?”

没等鸿远回答,一个激愤的声音接着说:

“抗战!抗战!北平城算是抗完啦!”

曹鸿远伸手拉住说话人的胳臂—他正是王永泰。跟王永泰一同来到讲台上的还有魏斌,和十几个衣衫褴褛的青年工人和农民。

在夹杂着电闪雷鸣的隆隆炮声中,魏斌喘着粗气说:

“你说这叫什么人头吧!一看日本人炮火紧了,这大头儿宋哲元跟北平市长秦德纯都偷偷地先逃跑了。扔下上百万老百姓,成了没娘的孩子,就等日本人他妈来管制吧!”

“您这个消息可靠么?”曹鸿远急忙问魏斌。他手里还拿着宋哲元通电“自卫守土”的报纸,有点儿不相信魏斌的话。

“没错儿!”魏斌回答,“傍天黑,我们上永定门城根一个工友家里去打听消息。这工友的哥哥在前门车站上当搬运工,他亲眼看见宋哲元、秦德纯还有他们的太太、少奶奶、姑老爷、姨少爷,亲戚、朋友一大堆,在昨儿个半夜里悄悄地上了火车,溜出了北平城。说是上保定那边继续抗战—抗他妈的蛋吧!……听说,天津也悬乎,日本人也在那边进攻哪!”

“他妈的,蒋介石不真心打日本,这不是存心叫中国人当亡国奴么?曹大哥,咱不能眼睁睁地看着日本人大摇大摆地开进北平城—咱是中国人,可咽不下这口窝囊气!”王永泰气冲冲地拍着胸脯,“曹大哥,您就领着我们这些穷哥儿们干他一家伙吧!”

“抗战就能生存,妥协只有亡国。曹先生,您看,在这严重的情况下,咱们怎么办才好啊?”说话的是个妇女。鸿远悄悄惊异地向她望了一眼—黑沉沉的夜色,看不清模样,但可以看出瓜子形的脸庞上有两只动人的闪闪发光的大眼睛。因为这个妇女带着宽沿草帽,穿着对襟的男人短衫,所以曹鸿远和王福来都没有认出她是个女人来。

魏斌向鸿远介绍:

“这位小姐叫路芳,在城里教育界作事儿。她有个亲戚住在附近的村子。这两天,她到亲戚家来了,联络了不少人。小曹,听说您在这儿,她今夜就叫我带着找您来了。”

头像
九州方圆44  中级会员   发表于:2016-10-10 22:35   只看该作者

91楼

CaoHongYuan took a copy of newspaper and sat on the edge of the temporary bed set up for WangFuLai in the hut reading carefully. That is a telex by SongZheYuan to Chiang Kai-shek and the whole nation, the title of which marks “The Situation Has Reached the Critical” in bold Chinese characters. The telex surprised him. Cao surmised though the Song had expressed his determination to “Defend the Nation”, the finial critical point would come soon……

Two days before CaoHongYuan went to ChangXinSian again. He had become good friend with the father and son of Wang’s. The WangFuLai household was broken so the father and the son have no place to live in. They temporarily quartered in the master worker WeiBin’s house who had been in the as factory with WangYongTai. CaoHongYuan also live in Wei’s household. This moment Wei and the Wangs happened not available there and left the house for CaoHongYuan to sat and meditated solely under the oil lamp.

The Cao was depressed so he walked out of the house to stand on the well mouth platform in the middle of vegetable garden. The slight smell of the vegetable was brought into his nose by the fresh cool wind while can not remove his worry by heart. The gunfire around NanYuan and bridge LuGou was constantly brought into his ears. With the sound of gunfire in his ears and the newspaper in his hand Cao was reasoning: “Anti-Japanese war” –a new great mission has been fallen in this new era of China. All the focus of the communist’s party seemed to be switched to this mission. “A united national front for anti-Japanese”—the come up and emphasize of the slogan showed the expert skill of leadership from the party. Then he brought to his mind for the instance the image of professor Miao. The image of tall and straightforward senior intellectual stood right before him. The professor prompted with the purchase of the demanded medicine and does it show the power of the party’s propaganda?

The storm of war surged and the present situation is on the aggressive. The GuoMingDang party seeks for retreat and compromise after July the 7th incident. In the days when Chiang Kai-shek pressed SongZheYuan to negotiate with the Jap as to the retreat, the Jap took the chance to deploy their army forces in preparation to launch a grand scale invasion into inland China.

July 26th the Jap had occupied LangFang along the BeiPing to TianJin railway then brought up a deadline to SongZheYuan for the retreat. July 28th when the Japanese troop had completed their preparation they initiated a large scale assault at NanYuan, BeiYuan and XiYuan of city BeiPing. In view of the imminent occupation of BeiPing and people’s enslaved life under the dictatorship of the Jap, CaoHongYuan stay there on the platform looking around: in the dark night sky lumps of black clouds was billowing at the dim horizon. The thunder of nature and the thunder of cannon mixed with each other constantly ringing through the sky. The high explosives blast with lightings that glared the eyes. Cao inhaled in a few breathes of cold air, stared wide his eyes and made a turn to fix on the north Weston sky—the majestic figure of Pagoda Mountain seems to appear before his eyes and the murmuring of river YanHe seems to sound. The lovely voice and happy countenance of familiar leaders and  comrades seem at present……

A long flash of lightening scratched through the night sky and illuminated the vast land for the instance.

“Little Cao, come into the house please. The shell blasts constantly and no one dare to make a show outside!” WangFuLai went to HongYuan secretly and tried to persuade him earnestly.

“Uncle, it is blown-out shots and grenade launching to terrify us. I had been on the battle ground and understand what kind of gunshot is dangerous and what not. Be at easy. But Master Wei and YongTai has not returned yet. Could they be blocked from the city or could not get out from the city?”      

For the war is on the intense, these days the four gates of city BeiPing only open for one or two hours a day to let in the vegetable vendors. The outlet had long before controlled.     

WangFuLai squatted on the well mouth looking into the direction of BeiPing and said in his low voice:

“That’s it! They haven’t been home so later and I am also worried. Considering the present situation our BeiPing must be occupied soon…… How can we live on afterwards?

Before CaoHongYuan could prompt with an answer, an agitated sound broke out:

“Anti-Japanese! Anti-Japanese! But BeiPing had finished with the task!”      

CaoHongYuan reached out his hand to hold the speaker’s—the one who spoke is just the WangYongTai. Along with him followed WeiBin and a few dozens of young workers and peasants in shabby clothes. In the mixed noise of thunder and cannon WeiBin gasping out:

“What kind of leader it is! As soon as they saw the intense Japanese cannon fire the SongZheYuan and the mayor of BeiPing QinDeChun had stole their way out first. They left with them millions of headless civilians to be disciplined by the fuck Japanese!”  

“Is this message dependable?” CaoHongYuan asked WeiBin in haste and in his hand still hold the newspaper printed with the telex “Defend the Nation”, for which he couldn’t totally believe in what WeiBin said.

“That’s very much true!” WeiBin answered, “We took advantage of the night to collect message in one of our workmate’s house which sits just under the city wall. The brother of the workmate works as a transporter at QianMen railway station. He saw with his own eyes, SongZheYuan, QinDeChun along with their households and servants escaped into the train compartment last night—the flock of people escaped from BeiPing. It is said to carry on anti-Japanese battle at city BaoDing. But to hell! Who knows!
…… We also heard the TianJin is endangered too. The Jap assault there too!”

“The damned Chiang Kai-shek, he does not mean to fight against the Jap! Does he mean to make Chinese people slaves without a nation? Brother Cao we can’t wait and see the Jap strode into the city easily! We are Chinese men. We can’t tolerate!” WangYongTai knocked at his chest angrily, “Brother Cao, you lead us to take action to fight against them!”

“To fight against the Jap and we can survive; to compromise and the nation die! Cao sir, what shall we do under such serious situation? ”the speaker is a woman. HongYuan glanced at her secretly with surprise—under the dark night he can make out her appearance but he can see a pair of big blinking eyes on the slim face. The woman had a wide brim cap and collared shirt, so CaoHongYuan and WangFuLai couldn’t make out that is a female.

Then WeiBin introduced to HongYuan:

“The lady is called LuFang who works in the education line in BeiPing. She has a relative who quartered in a nearby village. These days she went to her relative and made a lot of connections. Little Cao, she heard you are here today so she let me bring her to you. ”

Analysis: We can not say the 29th Route Army and SongZheYuan refused to fight against the Jap but we can say Chiang Kai-shek did. Nor can we say the telex on the newspaper “Defend the Nation” is only a make-up. As historical record says for lack of weapon and reinforcement the defense war had been very cruel and hard. The Jap bought through a traitor in the 29th Route Army their defense map so one day the core defense was crushed and the headquarter along with the army had to retreat otherwise they would either surrender or be eliminated. The anti-Japanese war is not an individual behavior of a man, a group or an individual army. It should be a nation wide co-operation, but the man like WangYongTai couldn’t understand—the civil assault at this time counts nothing.

头像
九州方圆44  中级会员   发表于:2016-10-10 22:37   只看该作者

92楼

曹鸿远和路芳握了手,笑着说:

“路先生,我听说过您。……北平就要失守了,我正要向您请教,咱们这些热爱祖国的穷兄弟们,怎么办才好?”

原来,曹鸿远听张怡向他介绍过北平学联负责人之一的路芳,也知道她将要到长辛店一带做发动群众的工作。

路芳对鸿远似乎也有所了解。她把草帽摘下来,露出乌黑的短发,笑笑说:

“咱们这些工农弟兄已听说宋哲元逃走了虽说张自忠还没有走,替宋哲元当起冀察政务委员会的主席,可二十九军已经溃散,日本人就要占领北平城了。他们都着急、气愤,有劲不知怎么使……我来、我来这儿是……”路芳悄悄踌躇满志地转脸看看围在她身边的几个衣衫褴褛的年轻人,接着说下去,“芦沟桥战争算是结束了。为了继续抗战。为了继续抗战,需要枪支弹药。听说二十九军丢在这一带的枪支武器不算少。我想,咱们可以多找点热心抗日的乡亲们到河边、水坑、苇塘背静地方寻找寻找看。有了枪,以后谁愿意抗日,就可以参加到抗日的队伍里去。”

听了路芳的话,鸿远心想,原来她是动员群众搞枪来的不谋而合!

“好哇!你们看这是什么?”一个小伙子从怀里掏出一支驳壳枪,高高地举起,向众人晃了晃。

啊!啊!枪!……”几个小伙子要去夺那个小伙子的枪。

“行啊!咱们就先去找枪。找来了,就拿它打他妈日本鬼!”另几个小伙子同声说,“你们别抢人家的,有能耐自己去找来!”

“对了,就该这么办!”路芳用清脆的好听的声音对小伙子们笑笑说。

曹鸿远拍拍王永泰的肩膀:

“兄弟,你打算怎么办?”

“您说吧,我什么都听您的。”王永泰对拯救了他生命的人,变得温顺了。

“我说也是先找散在这一带的枪支弹药。听说殷汝耕的伪冀东防共自治政府,有个保安团要反抗抗日,叫日本人给打散了,也有不少武器散失在乡村各处。咱们大伙就赶去找枪。谁找了来,就到魏斌师傅这儿来报告登记。然后,谁愿意参加游击队,就带去参加当然找不着枪,有愿意参加的,我们也可以介绍他去。您看,这么办可以么?”鸿远说着,扭头看看正睁大眼睛凝视着他的路芳。看样子曹鸿远也是奉了组织的指标而来弄枪的。路芳这么一想,顿时对曹鸿远感到十分亲切。

“曹先生,您不是来买药品么?怎么?……对了,您刚才说的办法很好。这件事情大伙就分头去办吧。”

“好,好,就这么办!”小伙子们个个面带喜色。正要分散的时候,有个小伙子忽然从怀里掏出一个白纸包拿着、掂着,把胳臂往鸿远眼前一伸:

“给您,这是我买来的。”

“这是什么?”曹鸿远有点儿诧异。

“药呀!您不是要买药品么?我听说了,变着法儿买了这一包阿林……”小伙子对这个药名记不太清,就一个字、一个字地念出来。

“给您,这是金霜……”另一个小伙子也从怀里掏出一个白纸包交到曹鸿远的手里。

“给您……”

“给您…”

十几个小伙子,每个人都从怀里或者衣袋里掏出一包一包用白纸包着的药品塞到曹鸿远手里。鸿远两只手都拿不住了,路芳赶忙帮他拿了一些放在自己的衣襟里。

鸿远用深情的目光,仔细打量着这些并不熟悉的、穿着破衣短衫的工农兄弟。心激跳着,眼睛湿润了。

“你们怎么知道我要买药?你们生活这么苦,不能白要你们的,多少钱,明天请魏师傅给你们送去。”

“我们听人说您要给抗日的军队买药,我们打心眼里赞成。药不好买,只买到这儿。”

“这是我们的一点儿心意送给抗日的军队打日本去。可不要钱……”

说着,一个个大步流星地走了。

雷声停了,炮声也停了。天空滚动着大块乌黑的云朵,黯淡的星光下,只剩下王家父子,魏斌、曹鸿远和路芳几个人留在井台上。

“曹先生,听说您在买药品,不知现在买够了没有?”暗夜中,路芳睁大熠熠闪光的大眼睛,用温和的低声问。

“还没有买够……”鸿远微微叹了口气。

“您不是还托了苗虹的父亲苗教授么?”

曹鸿远惊奇地望着路芳。

“您怎么知道的?苗教授已经给买成了。但是还缺少一部分。如果我托的另一位医学院的同学能够帮助买成就好了。”鸿远没有说出柳明的名字。

“我已经替您买到一部分药品。明天下午您可以到医学院的学生会去找我么?我把提货单交给您。”

鸿远喜出望外。他盯着路芳那件男人穿的白色对襟短衫,笑着说:“那太好了!苗教授替买的,加上您买的,再加上刚才那些小伙子给买的这一包包的,如果另一位同学再给买成,就可以超额完成任务了。路先生,谢谢您的帮助……”鸿远想和路芳握握手,因为两个人手里都捏着药包,只好向她点点头。

看着渐渐放明的天色,魏斌让鸿远和路芳都到屋里去说话。

鸿远对魏斌说:

“我这就要挑着菜挑子进城去了。您就留在家里等着登记和收藏枪支吧。谁弄来多少支,什么枪,您都用本子登记上。”说到这儿,扭头冲着站在身边的王家父子笑了笑,“王大叔,永泰,跟我一块儿进城去,有件活儿非您父子不可。带上点衣裳、铺盖,咱们一块儿走。”

王家父子觉得有点儿稀罕:这功夫进城去做什么呢?

曹鸿远不说,他们也不好问。去就去吧,反正这是个好人,跟着他走准没错儿。

天亮了,鸿远挑起满满一挑青菜正要动身时,一抬头,看见路芳还站在魏师傅家的门口,他的心微微一动,这个虽然男装,却依然掩盖不住的美丽的脸庞,多么象柳明!他们好像孪生姐妹路芳姐姐,柳明妹妹……

头像
九州方圆44  中级会员   发表于:2016-10-10 22:37   只看该作者

93楼

CaoHongYuan shook his hands with LuFang then smiled to say:

“Ms. Lu I had heard about you…… BeiPing is about to be occupied and I just have something to inquire you. What shall we do? We are patriotic men without fortune.

Once CaoHongYuan had heard ZhangYi made an introduction to this LuFang who is one of the leaders in charge of the student’s union. He also knew she is mobilizing the mass in the ChangXinDian Zone.  

LuFang seems to know something about CaoHongYuan too. She took of her straw hat and her black short cut hairs showed. She smiled to say:

“We peasants and workers had heard the escape of SongZheYuan—though general ZhangZiZhong stayed to work in place of SongZheYuan as the chairman of discipline inspection committee, the 29th Route Army had been dispersed and the Jap would march into BeiPing. We are all angered and worried not knowing how to use our strength…… I came here to…… to…… You know.” LuFang secretly took an ambitious look around those several young men in shabby clothes then continued: “The LuGou Battle had been put to an end. In order to fight against the Jap, yes, to fight against them, we are critically in need of guns. I heard the 29th route Army left many guns in this region and I think we can gather more patriotic folk men to pick them up by the river, ponds and pitches—those shaded places. If we have guns, later whoever wants to join the anti-Japanese army could join them as wish. ”

At this, CaoHongYuan understand that she had come to gather people for picking up the guns—that’s a coincidence!

“That’s good! Just look, what is it? ” a young fellow produced a Mauser pistol held it high and waved it to the mass.

“My! My! It’s a pistol!” several other young man pretended to grab his weapon.

“That’s all right! Let’s get down find those guns. Then fight against the damned Jap with the weapon. ”Several other young fellows said in one voice: “Don’t take other one’s gun. Get down to find the weapon if you have a capacity.”

“Yes, we should do this!” LuFang spoke in her ringing voice in smile.

CaoHongYuan patted on the shoulder of WangYongTai and said:

“Brother! What would you do then?”

“You make the order and I follow you!” WangYongTai turn mild to this man who had saved his lives.

“I also think we should firstly gather the dispersed weapons and ammunition in this region first! I heard a security troop under YinRuGen’s east HeBei anti-communist puppey regime chose to fight against the Jap, which were cracked down. They also left here many guns in the surounding villages. We hurry up to find those! If anyone could collect one please come to WeiBin for registration. Then if anyone wants to join the gorilla force take one piece and join them. Of course, if anyone failed to collect one but still wants to join we also can introduce him in. is that all right?”HongYuan turned to face the LuFang who stared wide her eyes at him in the talking. It seems that CaoHongYuan also received the assignment to collect the guns. LuFang developed a kinship towards him at this thought.

“Cao sir, do you come here for medicine?
…… Eh, the proposal you made just now sounds very good, so let’s get down to do it in groups. ”

“Ok, let’s start up!” the young fellows all wear happy looks in their faces. The moment they were about to separate a young fellow produce a pack of white paper parcel suddenly. He weighed the parcel in his hand and reached out to CaoHongYuan.

“It’s for you. I bought it.”

“What’s in?” CaoHongYuan was somewhat surprised.

“It’s medicine. Don’t you need medicine? I heard it, so I mangaged to buy a pacel of A-s-p-r-i-n……”The young fellow couldn’t bring to his mind clearly the sicetific name, so he spelled the word letter by letter.

“I give you this and it is cinchona.” Another young fellow produced another white parcel and reached out to Cao.

“Take this.”

“Take this.”

More than a dozen of young fellow produced their parcel of medicine one by one and put into Cao’s hand. Cao couldn’t hold so much with his two hands so LuFang helped him to hold with her overcoat.

HongYuan looked at these unfamiliar peasants and workers in shabby shirts affectionately his heart beat fast and his eyes in tears.

“How do you know I need to make the purchase? You lived a so hard life and I couldn’t accept them in vain. How much does it cost? And I will let Master Wei to pay you tomorrow.”

“We apprieciated it when we heard you are here to buy medicine for the anti-Japanese army. It is not easy to make the purchase and this is all we can do.”

“This is our petty presents to the anti-Japanese army. We won accept your payment……” Then they strode away one by one.

The thunder stopped so did the cannon. Lumps of black clouds were billowing in the sky. Under the dim star lights, there stayed on the well mouth only CaoHongYuan, WeiBin and LuFang as well as the father and son of Wang.

“Cao sir, I heard you are in medicine purchase mission. Have you gathered enough now? ”LuFang stared wide her big blinking eyes in the dark night and asked mildly in low voice.

头像
九州方圆44  中级会员   发表于:2016-10-10 22:38   只看该作者

94楼

“Not until now……” Cao took a sigh slightly.

“Didn’t you entrust professor Miao too?”

CaoHongYuan looked at LuFang in surprise.

“How can you know this? Professor Miao helped me with some but not enough. It’s better if another classmate in the medical academy I entrusted could help me with some. ”CaoHongYuan did not disclose the name of LiuMing.

“I had already bought some for you. Would you come to meet me at the student’s union tomorrow? I will transfer you the bill of lading.”

HongYuan was over—joyed. He looked at the white shirt she wore and smiled to say:

“That’s too good, the professor Miao’s purchase plus your plus the young fellow’s and my clamate’s would be more than enough. Mis.Lu I am so apprieciated for your help.HongYuan intend to shake hands with LuFang but they had their hand full of medicine so what they can do is only to nod.

The day was breaking and WeiBin let them in to have the talk.  

HongYuan said to WeiBin:

“We will shoulder the vendor’s vegetable into the city. You stay home and prepare to register the guns and store them. You shall record the number and the type on account book. ”At this he turned back his face to smile to the father and son of Wang’s, “Uncle Wang and YongTai, follow me to the city! There’s something can not complete without you. Take some clothes and quilts and we get started.

The father and the son felt something strange: what shall we do in the city at this moment?

CaoHongYuan refused to say anything and they are inconvenient to ask. Then follow him, anyhow he is a good fellow. There’s nothing improper to follow him.

The day broke and Cao shouldered two full baskets of green vegetables. The moment he get start off and raised his head he saw the LuFang in the shirt standing at the gate of Wei’s. Though it is man’s wear it couldn’t conceal her beautiful face. How it is like LiuMing’s! They looked like twin-sisters with LuFang the elder and LiuMing the younger.

Analysis: the defence was crushed and soldiers left many guns around the battle ground. But as one threw it the other would take. As one fell down the other would stand up. It is a nation wide anti-invation war. When the formal army was defeated people will carry on gorilla attack until one day the invaders were driven out. Though peasants and workers when they think of the war they are not sad at all. They are very happy. Why? Did they nature born warlike? No. They are happy because with the gun and organization they could have the chance to fight for their only independence instead of a slave without a nation under the dictatorship of the invador’s.

头像
九州方圆44  中级会员   发表于:2016-10-11 22:28   只看该作者

95楼

第十四章

柳明几乎一夜没有睡着。

一是为北平的即将失守。枪炮声虽然停了,但她感到从未有过的痛苦与压抑。

二是为白士吾始终没有替她买到药品。她觉得言而无信,对不起曹鸿远。

于是,她决定去找曹鸿远。

鸿远曾告诉柳明,他住在西单大成公寓里,有事可以上哪儿找他。她去找了两次,这个晚上才在一间简陋的小屋里找到了他。一见面,柳明好像做了见不得人的事,瞅着曹鸿远想说什么,却又张不开嘴。弄得鸿远有些莫名其妙,和他脸对脸愣了一会儿,这才笑道:

“柳小姐,发生什么事了?是买药的事没成功,对不对?”

柳明长长地出了一口气,嫣然一笑。多么聪明的人,他一猜就着。

“真对不起您,曹先生。那个人骗了我,一片药也没有给您买到。我真惭愧……”

“这不怪你。”曹鸿远微笑着,“在这战争的非常时期办这件事就是很不容易的。北平有五十三家西药店,连最大的五洲大药店、健身大药房,和记、裕丰一些中小药房,我全跑过,甚至跟他们账房里的人都熟识了,他们也都不肯再卖药。这不怪你。我这药贩子都没了办法。”一股暖流缓缓流过柳明的心头。她羞涩地望了鸿远一眼,心渐渐宁静下来,坐在桌边小木凳上,低头小声说:

“听苗虹说,苗教授已经如期买到了药品。现在您买的药品中,就差我这一份了吧?曹先生,我真是真是……”她想骂自己,也想骂白士吾,却绯红着脸什么也说不出来。停了半晌才抬头问道,“曹先生,怎么好呢?我真担心,北平眼看失守了,那些法币要是很快失效了,您还怎么买药呢?”

鸿远还是那副洒脱的姿态,在昏黄的电灯下,倚靠在门边的墙壁上,摸着自己的浓黑头发,说:

“柳小姐,不必为这件事过于着急了,急也没有用,愿意抗日的人多得很,总会有办法的。我还要问一声,为这件事,你是不是恼了没帮你买到药品的那位朋友?”

柳明吓了一跳。怎么,这位眼前的人好像能掐会算似的,连她恼了白士吾都猜到了。

她似乎进一步了解了这个新相识的人聪明、干练、善于体会人的心理;又豁然大度,不象白士吾那样心胸狭窄,什么事都爱猜忌。一想到白士吾,一幕令他十分懊恼的情景涌上心头,感到一阵阵难以言说的困惑……

白士吾答应柳明,第二天到伤兵收容站给他送去提货单。午后,他果真去了。一见面,愁眉苦脸地对她说:

“小柳,真对不起你……那个亲戚我的姑父,一片药也不肯卖给我……你看,你看,这可怎么好?……你,你别生气……”

柳明打了个寒颤。接着,额上沁出了大粒汗珠。她又气愤、又焦虑地瞪着白士吾白净的脸,抿紧了嘴唇,过了几秒钟,才张嘴说话:

“你答应得好好的,今天一定把提货单给我送来。怎么怎么说话不算话?!……你,……你!”她把手里的听诊器往桌上一扔,坐在小板凳上瞅着窗外发起愣来。

白士吾不知所措地站在她身边。这是一间临时作为医生办公室的小房子,屋里没有别人。白士吾尴尬地站了一会儿,终于低声下气地说:

“小柳,我亲爱的,饶恕我!不是我想叫你不高兴,是我父母听我姑父说,我要给抗日的人买那么多的药品,父母就千叮咛、万嘱咐,叫我姑父一片药也不许卖给我。姑父就这么变了卦……小柳,饶恕我!这叫我有什么办法呢?”白士吾说着,掏出一条花条子手帕擦起眼泪来。

柳明的气渐渐消了。她知道白士吾的父亲是满清郑亲王的儿子,母亲还是个郡主之流的娇贵妇人。现在眼看日本人就要占领北平城了,怎肯叫儿子去冒险帮助抗日的人?而且他们一向反对儿子找柳明这个穷教书匠的女儿当媳妇。不过儿子大了,不听他们的,他们也无可奈何。但对儿子帮助柳明买药这件事,他们却破坏成功了。

“白士吾,您真叫我为难死了!我答应人家了,怎么好意思张嘴又说不成啦……”这回轮到柳明落泪了。

“小柳,我怎么对你说‘不成了’,你也对那个人唔,那个人算是你的朋友吧?你就对他说,买不到就算了……”

“看你说得多轻巧!谁象你这样言而无信,还不以为耻!”柳明又恼了,黑亮的大眼睛冒出两颗红红的火花,狠狠盯在白士吾苍白的脸上。“算了!从此咱们一刀两断!你走你的阳关道,我走我的独木桥!”

“不!不!……”白士吾的一条腿象外国电影里的求爱镜头弯曲了,跪下来了。柳明却站起身来,头也不回地跳出屋门外,把个白士吾独自甩在寂静的小屋里。

见柳明呆坐着不说话,鸿远坐在柳明身边的凳子上,轻声说:“白先生对你很好。我看见他不是故意不帮忙,而是有困难。”鸿远又说,“不管怎么样,你还是应当尽量团结他。
他也是个青年嘛。你要把他争取到抗日阵营里来,多一个人多一份抗战的力量。”

“曹先生,您的意见倒是不错。可是,我费了老大的劲争取他半天,结果连答应替伤兵买点药品都说了不算。我、我再也不想理他……”

“为这个你就不理人家了,这不太好吧?比如,这次你没有替我买成药,我也从此不理你了。你想想,我这样做对不对?”

“当然!当然!”鸿远连说了两个“当然”,然后摆着手笑道,“请你继续帮助的事多着哩。为了抗日,我们还要做许多事情。”

“为了抗日?……”柳明低下头喃喃地说,“可是,怎么去抗呢?”她抬起头,掠了掠头发,眼里闪烁着热烈的光焰那光焰象团火,又象星光似的凄凉、悲伤。

鸿远的一双剑眉稍稍耸动了一下,内心似乎也涌起了和柳明同样的忧思。他也低头沉默了。

“国民党不抗日,也不发动广大民众起来抗日;可是,还有中国共产党共产党是坚决抗日的。青年人投身抗日疆场,把青春献给伟大的民族解放事业,已经成了当前唯一的出路。至于怎么抗法……不知你是想留在北平,还是……”曹鸿远没有往下说,微微一笑打住了话头。

头像
九州方圆44  中级会员   发表于:2016-10-11 22:30   只看该作者

96楼

For a whole night LiuMing had not fallen asleep.

Firstly she thought of BeiPing which is about to be fallen into the hands of Jap. The gunfire hasceased but in her heart she tortured the never experienced depression and pain.

Secondly, BaiShiWu had not made the purchase till the end and she felt herself incredible as wellas sorry to CaoHongYuan.

She decided to meet CaoHongYuan again.

HongYuan had told that he lives in DaCheng house, XiShan Street. If anything should happen she could find him there. LiuMing went there twice and this evening she found him in a shabby apartment. LiuMing behaved as if she had done something wrong in the encounter.She wanted to say something but held off at last. CaoHongYuan couldn’t understand her, so they stand face to face for a moment stunned. Then he smiled and said:

“Miss Liu, anything happened? The medicine purchase failed. Is that so?”

LiuMing took a long sigh and smiled. How clever he is and he should guess out instantly.

“I’m sorry Cao sir, the guy cheated me he didn’t buy even a pill. I’m terribly sorry…… ”  

“It isn’t your fault.”Cao smiled, “In this harsh times of war it is very difficult to accomplish the task. There are fifty three western pharmacies in BeiPing. I covered all of them from some of the biggest WuZhou pharmacy and JianShen pharmacy to the smaller ones as HeJi drugstore and FengYu drugstore. I even got familiar to their accountant, but they all refused to sell anything more. It is not your fault even me, this professional buyer, could not make it. ” a warm tide flooded LiuMing’s heart. She threw a shyly glance at LiuMing and calmed down gradually. Then she took a seat on the little bench at the table and said with her head bent low:

“I heard MiaoHong said that professor Miao had purchased the medicine in time. Now you might be only in need of my part to be enough. Cao sir, it’s my fault, mine……”She wanted to curse herself and the BaiShiWu. But she flushed and couldn’t say anything. Liu raised up her head a long while later then asked: “Cao sir. What shall we do? I really worry over it. BeiPingis about to be lost and those legal tender is about to be illegal. Then how can you make the purchase.”

HongYuan kept in his smart manner. He leaned on the wall by the door under the dim light of electric bulb and smoothed her thick black hairs to say:

“Miss Liu, don’t worry too much over it! That’s really no use. Many people are in favor of anti-Japanese so they would manage to do. I want to know something more. Did you annoy the friend you entrusted for the medicine purchase?”

LiuMing was startled for the instance. The fellow before her seems to be a fortune teller and he could calculate out that annoyed BaiShiWu.

LiuMing seems to knowsomething more about this newly acquented fellow—he is smart, capable, experiencedand considerate. Further more he is open-minded differ to the narrow-mindedBaiShiWu who is suspicious of every thing. Thinking of this BaiShiWu an upsetscene presented before her and she felt a kind of untold puzzle……

BaiShiWu had promised to go to the injured soldier’s asylum the next day to send the bill oflading. He did go there in the afternoon. But as soon as he met LiuMing he made a long face and said:

“Litte Liu, I’m sorry…… the relative—my uncle refused to sell me even a pill…… Look! Look! How can it help?  …… Don’t be angry Liu, do not anger……”

LiuMing shivered at this. Beads of sweet filtered out on her forehead. She stared at the white face of BaiShiWu in anger and anxiety and bitted on her lips for a few seconds before she opened her mouth:

“But you have promised to send me the bill of lading and how can you eat out your words? …you…you…”She threw her stethoscope on the table then sat on the bench looking out of the window at a loss.

BaiShiWu stand by her also at a loss. It is a temporary doctor’s office so there stayed no one else.

BaiShiWu stand there awkwardly for a moment then said lowly:

“My dear little Liu, forgive me. It is not that I want to make you unhappy. My parents heard fromthe uncle that I will buy so many medicines for the anti—Japanese soldiers then they repeated to my uncle time and again that he mustn’t sell me a pill. So my uncle changed his idea……. So little Liu, forgive me! How can I help?!” The moment BaiShiWu took out handkerchief with flower lace to wipe off his tears.

LiuMing’s anger was gradually disappeared. She the father of BaiShiWu is the son of prince in Qing Dynasty and his mother had been a noble woman as viscountess. Seeing the Japanese would soon occupy BeiPing, how can they let their son risk to buy medicine for the anti-Japanese soldiers? Further more they did not agree to take LiuMing, the daughter of a poor teacher, as their daughter in law from the beginging. But their son had grown up they had no way to persuade him if he does not listen. But they successfully ruined the medicine purchase.   

头像
九州方圆44  中级会员   发表于:2016-10-11 22:30   只看该作者

97楼

“BaiShiWu you really put me into an awkward situation! I had promised him and how can I turn him down?!” This time it is LiuMing who shed tears.

“Little Liu, you just transfer my words to the fellow. Is that fellow your friend? Then you just tell him the truth, if you can no make the purchase he would take it for granted……”

Look you can see it as nothing! Who would eat out his words like you and not feel shamed at all?” LiuMing’s anger rose up again and her big black eyes stared at the white face of BaiShiWu with fires: “Let’s say good-by then! You walk your broad way and I walk on my single plank bridge.”

“No! No! No!……”BaiShiWu knelt on one of his knees like the scene in western film in wooing. But LiuMing stand up and jumped out of the house without looking back. She let the BaiShiWu stay solitarily in the silent house.

CaoHongYuan sat on a bench by the side of LiuMing he saw LiuMing kept in the silence then he said in low voice:

“Mr.Bai is so kind to you, so I don’t think he refused it intentionally. He must be in real difficulty.” HongYuan continued, “Anyhow you should unite him. He is also a young man and you should win him over to the anti-Japanese force. One more individual man a little more strength!”

“Cao sir, your suggestion sounds good. I had tried my best to win over him but he can not keep his words for the small mission of medicine purchase! I do not want to mind him anymore……

“I don’t think it proper if you shun him for such case. For example shall I shun you for you can not make it? Just think is it proper to do so?”

“Not for certain, for certain!” Cao repeated “Certain” then waved his hand and smiled to say, “I have many things more to seek your help. We have many things to do for the sake of anti-Japanese.”

“For the sake of anti-Japanese?……” LiuMing bent down her head murmuring, “But how to?” she rosed up her head and smooth her hair with her hands. The lights in her eyes are still blinking—it is fire like but in the mean time as cold and solitary as star lights.

The straight brows of HongYuan moved and the same kind of worry assaulted his heart. He also bent down his head in silence:

“GuoMingDang Party did not fight against the Jap nor did they mobilize the people for it. But there is a communist party in China and the party determined to fight against the Jap. The young men involve themselves in the anti-invasion war. They dedicated their young lives to the national liberation cause. It has turned to the only out of the national crisies. As for how to do the job…… I don’t know if you want to stay at BeiPing or
……” Cao did not carry on it he stopped with a smile in stead.

Analysis: BeiPing was about to be occupied by the Jap. At this moment any civil anti-Japanese acitivity would be dangerous to the man himself or herself. For those want determined to fight against the invaders they do not know how. If the strong army can be defeated what can a civilan do? We have already known that the GuoMingDang Party seek compromise and retreated their main forces out of BeiPing, further more they refuse to mobilize the people? Why? Superficially they proposed the propaganda that the anti-Japanese has nothing to do with common walks of life. It is a government behavior. But in the deeper sense, they are afraid of people, afraid of the self-realize and the liberation of people themselves.   

头像
九州方圆44  中级会员   发表于:2016-10-14 09:21   只看该作者

98楼

第十五章

好像到了秋末,大地一片消杀。

芦沟桥炮声停止,日本人将要开进北平城里之际,柳明像个刚刚跑完长跑之后的运动员,突然软弱得没有一丝力气了,疲倦得几乎不能动弹了。战争停止了,伤兵都陆续转移,再也没有伤号来叫她动手术,叫她照顾。她也不再去医院、去病房。她吃不下、睡不好。一闭眼,一张张年轻的、血肉模糊的脸,就在眼前浮动。半个多月来,她几乎日夜和这些浴血奋战的人相处。如今,一切消失了炮声、伤员、止血钳、手术刀、便盆、尿壶……一切消失得无踪无影了。炮声激烈的时候,她有时也有些胆怯,但她知道这是和日本人在打仗,心里虽然担惊,却似有种希望,有种安慰。当她听到二十九军军长佟麟阁牺牲在芦沟桥的战场上时,她忍不住滴下热泪,同时又有种自豪感冲激心头。这是中华民族的骄傲啊!敌众我寡,军官们个个身先士卒,义无反顾,这鼓舞是巨大的。在紧张的战事中,伤兵不断从前线抬到医院里来,她的手术越做越熟练;她和受伤兵的心,也似乎越来越贴近。常常几天几夜,她留在医院里,兴奋、苦干,忘了疲倦,忘了一切……如今,曾几何时,血与火的抗击沉寂下来了。她不由得感到异样空虚。仿佛一座堆砌起来的美丽的冰山,突然坍塌了、消融了。她没有事可以做了,心里空落落、惨凄凄。她像睡在坟墓般成天睡到在自己那间小屋的板床上……

与此同时,芦沟桥事变前,曾经使她苦恼过的问题,又跑出来苦恼着她以后,做什么去?还能继续读书么?还能登上医学的殿堂么?……

柳明整日想着这些揪心的事,白士吾来找她,她无情无绪,无精打采。男友一说邀他出去溜溜、玩玩,她就瞋目相待:

“商女不知亡国恨亏你还有这份心思!”

柳明家的小屋没有沙发,没有电扇,闷热、窒气,白士吾受不住,只有挨近柳明,悄悄握住她的手坐一会儿便走了。

柳清泉整日和女儿的脾性近似:孤高、自傲,不愿依附权贵象白士吾这样的阔少,老婆子虽然喜欢他,百般奉承他;老头子却瞧不上这个“纨绔子弟”。(他心里是这么称呼。)他知道女儿和白士吾好,是出于情感儿女之情嘛。不象老婆子看上的是白家的钱。因之,他从不叱斥女儿。只是瞪着深度的近视眼镜,时不时地小声斥骂几声老婆子的浅见。自从情况突变,北平沦陷在即只等日本人进城接收。他的神情也和柳明相仿愁闷得一言不发,连成天放在鼻尖子上的报纸也扔在一边不看了,总躺在破床上不住地长吁短叹。

柳明妈也是一肚子闷气,她不敢向女儿发作,却冲着倒在床铺上的老头子,嚷嚷着,叫喊着。一说话还要先拍打手巴掌,嘴里的吐沫星子四处飞溅:

“我说,你们这爷俩我说,你这死不了的糟老头子,倒是怎么回事呵?天塌下来压了众人。北平这块宝地,任谁外国人占了也长不了,也得归化咱们中国。大清国的满洲鞑子进了关,坐了金銮殿不也成了咱们中国人了么?鬼子占了,也是兔子尾巴长不了。你爷俩愁的是哪门子官司呵!?饭不吃,茶不想,觉不睡,是叫狐仙爷迷住了,还是中了哪门子邪气呀?……”

柳明妈拐着两只小脚,手拿一件补缀的破衣裳,在屋地里走来走去一会儿外屋冲着老头子喊叫两句,一会儿又颠到女儿床前,发表她自己认为的高见。

这父女俩谁也闷声不哼,任她说长道短,她坐在女儿身边,有时更长篇大套地叨叨起来,一边说,一边“心肝”、“宝贝”地喊:

“我说,丫头,我那心上的肉呵,你怎么金口玉言,连句话也不跟你妈说呵?仗不打啦,你还不该养养身子,跟白少爷玩玩逛逛,散散心。宝贝儿呵,怎么成天价丢了魂似的,一趟趟叫白少爷大老远白跑……日本人来了,你就是愁死,不也是白搭上小命一条、一条!……”老太太嘟囔起来就没完没了。

柳明实在忍受不住,猛地坐起身来,冲着窗户(她不爱看母亲那种风风火火煞有介事的样子)咬着嘴唇,狠狠吐出四个字来:

“都是废话!”说完,又一头倒下。

弟弟柳放总是站在姐姐一边。他也嫌母亲多嘴多舌。这时探着小脑袋对母亲说:

“妈,我长大了也跟姐姐一样,学着动手术。可不学您耍贫嘴。”

“小兔崽子,不许你多嘴!你不是大了要当军官么?学着动手术干么!血里唿哨的,有什么干头!”

“我动手术,好给您把舌头切下一块,再给您缝上。您的话就不能这么多了。”

“你这忘恩负义的小杂种!”母亲恼了,抄起身边的扫炕扫帚,举手就向儿子身上打去。儿子向外跑,老太太一边追打,一边喊叫:

“全反了你们啦!你们老少三条浑虫,都照准老娘身上咬来啦!”

弟弟作着鬼脸,冲着母亲嘻嘻笑着。母亲又喊又叫,举着扫帚疙瘩追打着儿子。

正在这人声鼎沸、乱糟糟的时候,白士吾服装整洁、风度偏偏地推着自行车进了院子。

在柳家,除了喜欢柳明,其他人,白士吾一个也瞧不上眼。只不过为了柳明,才勉强对他家人应酬一下。

白士吾一来,屋里立刻安静了。柳明妈急忙去给白士吾张罗茶水。小白进到柳明屋里,把屋门一关,把一包点心水果向桌子上一放,转身走到柳明床前,紧拉住姑娘的手:

“小柳,今天精神好一点吗?看你这几天瘦多了我心里真着急……”白士吾坐在床前小凳上,深情地望着那张晶莹得透明的脸,“我今天给你们送来好消息

“什么好消息?”

“你猜猜。一定叫你非常高兴的消息。”

“猜不着,别卖关子快说吧。”

白士吾且不说,却从桌上拿过一块高级奶油蛋糕,把它送到柳明的嘴边,歪着头,像哄小孩似的:

“小柳,快吃了它它就像是我的心。吃到你的肚子里,我的心也就跟你的心连在一块儿了。”

头像
九州方圆44  中级会员   发表于:2016-10-14 09:22   只看该作者

99楼

It is approaching the end of autumn and everything grow on the ground is withering.

As the gunfire at bridge LuGou ceased and the Japanese troop was about to marching into BeiPing, LiuMing got too tired to make any movement like an athlete after a long race. The war ceased and the injured were gradually transferred so no one call her for operation or nursing any more. She need not go to the hospital wards any longer. LiuMing couldn’t eat well and sleep well. Every time she shut her eyes the bloody injured faces emerged before her and floating in the air. This half month she almost spent every day and night with those soldiers from the bloody battle. Now every of those scenes vanished—gunfire, the injured, forceps, scalpel, ben pan and urinal etc. When the gunfire was on the intense she was terrified sometimes but as she thought it’s a battle against the Jap a hope and condolence rose up in her heart. The time she heard the army commander of 29th Route Army TongLingGe sacrified his life in the battle she even broke into tears then a pride surged inside her. It is a glory of the nation! Our army fought against the heavy odds but the officers charged in the lead without any hesitation. The inspiration is great. In the hot fierce battle the injured were carried down from the fire line constantly and her operation skill advanced. In the mean time her heart approach nearer to those injured soldiers. She often stay in the hospital whole day and whole night vigorus, hard working and forgot all about fatigue or anything other than the work itself. Now at certain time the battle of fire and blood stopped. LiuMing felt especially empty. As if a beautiful iceberg of career collapsed in an instance and melted away. She has nothing to do now empty-hearted and completely lonely. She slept on her little bed whole day long as if slept in a tomb.        

In the mean time the problem which had tortured him before Bridge LuGou incidence jumped out to torture him again—what shall she do afterwards? Could she continue her learning? Could she still have the chance to climb up the altar of medical career?
……

LiuMing thought over all these gripping things whole day long that when BaiShiWu came to find her she was downhearted and not in the mood. As the boyfriend said to invite her out for a walk and play she stared at him angrily to say:

“As the poem say: ‘The lady of Kingdom Shang does know resent of losing her motherland.’ And how shall you still have such kind of easiness?”

In the small apartment of Liu’s there are now sofa and electric fan, so hot, humid and muffled that BaiShiWu couldn’t tolerant. He approached LiuMing and sat by her side for a while holding her hand in his then went away.

LiuQingQuan developed the same temper as his daughter’s the whole day—proud, solitary, arrogant not willing to play up to the rich and powerful. Though his wife likes and flatters the Childe BaiShiWu, he himself looked down up this dandy. (He calls the boy dandy in his heart.) He knew his daughter favor the boy for it is her affection—love affair. It is different from his wife who loved his fortune only. So he never reproached his daughter. What he did is to stare behind his spectacles at his wife and scolded at her superficial view at times. When the situation changed and submerge of BeiPing became imminent waiting for the Japanese to take over, he is also distressed like his daughter and even laid aside the newpapers which he likes to read. The man lied on his bed taking long and short sighs constantly.

LiuMing’s mother was also in anger, but she did not point it towards her daughter. Instead she shouted at the old man in bed and she would slap her hand before she spoke with foam in the mouth.

“Say, the two of you! Say, this rotten old man! What’s the matter? If the heaven should collapse it will fallen on the mass. No foreigner could occupy the treasured land of BeiPing for a long time. It will belong to us in the end. The Manchurian of Qing Dynasty had invaded in to sit at the imperial palace but did we reclaim it at last? The Jap may occupy it but would not keep long. What kind of lawsuit had fallen on you two? How shall you refuse to eat, to drink and to sleep? What kind of a fairy fox disillusioned you or what kind of evil influence caught you?……

The mother of LiuMing crippled along with her two bounded feet. She wandered back and force in the room with a patched shabby clothe in the hand. Sometimes he shouts one or two lines to her husband at the outer apartment; sometimes crippled to her daughter’s bedside to express her wisdom.

The father and the daughter kept silence and let her behave herself. She sat by her daughter’s side and sometimes gossiping her long episode and cry at times “my daughter” “my baby……   

“Say, my daughter, my baby? How precious your words are? How shall you keep in silence? The war had ceased and why didn’t you take the chance to have a rest and keep fit? Why not go out to have a walk with childe Bai and release yourself? Baby! How can you stay out like lost and made Childe Bai searching you all day long?
…… The Jap had invaded in even if you worried to death it is in vain……”When ever the old woman initiated with her gossip she can never put to an end.

LiuMing could tolerate it no longer. She sat up suddenly and bitted on her lips facing the window. Then she burst out a line:

“It is all but nonsense!” then she fell on her bed again.

The little brother LiuFang is always by the side of his sister. He also got tired of the mother’s gossip. He probed out his little head and spoke to the mother:

“Mother, I would follow the example of my sister’s and learn to operate. I won’t learn how to gossip like you.”

“Stop it! You brat! Didn’t you say you want to be an army officer when grown up? How shall you learn operation? The bloody things and what’s the significance to you? ”

“If I learn how to operation then I can cut one part of your tongue then stitch it again to save your gossiping.”

“You ungrateful things!” the mother was angered and she took up the broom by her side to beat her son. The son was running outside and the mother chasing after her and kept beating with the broom:

“You all rebelled! The three worms of you, old and young! How shall you all bite on me?! ”

The little brother was making his faces, laughing naughtily at his mother and the mother kept running after him and beating him with the broom.

In all these chaotic, BaiShiWu pulled a bicycle into the courtyard in his neat clothes and gentleman manner.

Except for LiuMing BaiShiWu likes no one else in the family. He managed to deal with them for the sake of LiuMing.

The house quiet down the moment BaiShiWu arrived. LiuMing’s mother went to fetch tea for him as soon as possible. BaiShiWu went into LiuMing’s apartment and shut the door then he threw a pacel of fruit and candy to her. He turned and walked to LiuMing’s bedside then held tight her hand.

“Little Liu, you looks better today. Look, you looked much thinner these days. I am worrying over it now. ”BaiShiWu sat at the bench before her bed, looking at the crystal face affectionately: “I send you good news today……”

What’s the news?”

“You guess. It will make you happy for sure.”

“I can’t guess. Don’t beating about the bush, tell me directly.”

But BaiShiWu delayed instead he took a piece of cream cake from the table and reached to LiuMing’s mouth. He slanted his head as if coaxing a child.

“Little Liu, ate it out! It is like my sweat heart. You swallow it and my heart linked yours.”

头像
九州方圆44  中级会员   发表于:2016-10-14 09:23   只看该作者

100楼

Analysis: The war ceased. In the interval between the war and the marhing in of the Japanese army, peace seems to be recovered. There came the conflicts of familiar thoughts. The mother cared her daughter so much. Why the daughter prompted out a line:It is all but nonsense.” ? In the heart of her mother she selected the best life for her daughter to married a rich family. But the mind of the educated LiuMing had changed. Though she still cared about the handsome and condiderate BaiShiWu, she is facing the choice between nation and priate life. “It is all but nonsense.” This is a very impolite line to say to her mother, but it is a big leap forward, for she inclined the nation.  

发新话题
查看积分策略说明

快速回复主题

[完成后可按 Ctrl+Enter 发布]  预览帖子  恢复数据  清空内容

使用个人签名
  用户名: 密码:    注册  找回密码